Before attending the session we were asked to create a design that could be used as a small circular keyring, on either thin balsa wood or perspex. Depending on your individual working style, your work could be imported as either a bitmap (suitably better for hand-drawn designs or anything requiring a more organic finish) or a vector file (clean lines and precise designs). I opted for a bitmap and decided to use my design alongside the current Beyond The Book project.
![]() |
| 'Four Knocks' Simple Keyring Design |
Cai (who runs LaserLea) was fantastic, she explained everything thoroughly in easy to understand terminology. She allowed us to look through previous clients laser-cut odds and sodds which gave me the idea to get my portfolio cover personalised next year by having the leather engraved with my own design. It was particularly helpful to me because I've shied away from having my work projected onto products or even progressed within context in the past, so seeing how the simplicity of a design can be effective on unfamiliar materials was invaluable.
![]() |
| Light Balsa Wood Keyring. |
![]() |
| Engraved Leather Patch. |
I feel my design worked well for the purpose as it was simple and easy to navigate although I wish I'd spent more time on the type as it's uneven and the spacing wasn't thought out. The leather patch was my personal favourite and the result has definitely left me interested in Laser for future products.



No comments:
Post a Comment