Thursday, 21 November 2013

Portfolio Visit; Numero Uno.



I'm pleased to announce that today I met with Chris Knowles, Graphic Designer for The Media Octopus.
The Media Octopus is a digital marketing agency based in Manchester using creativity, experience and a strong team to help clients bring their products to market.


Specialists in both inbound and outbound marketing, Chris and the team use social media, PPC, SEO, content marketing, direct marketing and most importantly for me, design.
As written above, Chris is their main Graphic designer and learned almost all his knowledge on the job. This is one of the reasons I wanted to contact him, to find out how easy and rewarding it is picking up experience and building a career from scratch. I met him at Common bar for a beer with my portfolio and an open mind.

Even though my portfolio was in it's early stages, Chris was very positive when looking through everything I'd put together, he ended up asking me more questions than I had prepared to ask him! The conversation was focused more around my intentions and plans for the future, ideas as an illustrator and thoughts on different techniques rather than my actual portfolio or quality of the pieces I had arranged. Personally I found this very beneficial. Although I do need pointing in the right direction when it comes to presentation I found it refreshing to talk about what matters to me and the direction that I want my work to progress in.

I asked Chris how his team work together and how they all found their way into the industry and he confirmed some of my existing thoughts that it's sometimes not what you know but who you know, and asking the right question at the right time is sometimes all it takes. It's not necessarily about luck or being pushy but having confidence and practicing self-promotion at every opportunity will pay off.


First screenshot of homepage for themediaoctopus.com


Second screenshot of homepage for themediaoctopus.com

No comments:

Post a Comment