Monday, 18 November 2013

Age UK


Historical Buildings: Whitehill Day Care Centre
Age UK Stockport is a registered charity focusing their funds and efforts of local staff for the benefit of people within the Borough of Stockport. Helping older people to have more control over their lives, realise their value within a community and become more involved in activities are just a few of Age UK’s aims.

All the people I’ve met in conjunction with Age UK Stockport have been incredibly caring, responsive and positive people with a passion for equality. The strive to level the gap between the young and the old, educating the general public of both mental and physical health problems that can arise as we get older and how to deal with it. We were lucky enough to visit Whitehill Daycare centre to meet some of the weekly visitors and a handful of the carers who helped to introduce us to all the wonderful people who attend the sessions there. The atmosphere was so relaxed in the centre and the majority of the ladies and gents were more than happy to speak to us, even if they just wanted us to read the paper with them! The people we spoke to all had different levels of Dementia which was a real eye-opener to me. I spoke to a lady called Norma who struggled badly with her short term memory but could tell me far flung memories about her first house and her love for Cheadle.

Empathy and compassion together, are the key to making a difference and all in all I found the experience extremely rewarding and can see exactly why people want to be involved with this charity.

'Stockport's Shire' Mixed media and digital editing. 21 x 29.7cm.
 
I had an insightful conversation with one of the elderly ladies, Norma. She appeared very reserved, and was cautious of opening up to me at first so we read the local newspaper together and talked about the theatre and her home-town Cheadle. As she was born in Manchester and had lived her whole life in Cheadle she didn’t know a great deal about Stockport’s heritage or the buildings but she had such a strong passion for Cheadle and the general Borough of Stockport. She claimed all the citizens of Manchester to be ‘the pick of the bunch with a cracking sense of humour’ and confessed to me that she’s never had any desire to leave Manchester, if she had to move now she wouldn’t be able to do it. 

The conversation then moved on to where I came from, and as I told her ‘born and bred in Yorkshire’ a smile spread across her face as she replied with ‘What are you doing so far from The Shire!’. This was elating yet saddened me as we’d previously read a section of the paper about Sir Ian McKellen and his role as Gandalf (which lead to a short discussion about The Lord of the Rings) which she had promptly forgotten as her Dementia was in an advanced stage. 

But I wanted to hold onto this comment, so showed her the article once more, to which she laughed and said ‘Me and you are like the Hobbits, never wanting to stray from the Shire’. Cheadle is the safest place she knows, and she has no intention of leaving. 

The image above was ultimately inspired by my conversation with Norma, named 'Stockport's Shire' and incorporating all of the places, buildings and landmark. I used photography, paint, pen and digital editing to create a portrayal of Stockport as a Historical visual with all the iconic modern establishments that have been rejuvinated throughout the years.

'Stockport's Shire' In Progress.


Historical Buildings: Stockport Market


“Stockport has a rich and varied collection of heritage assets of local, regional and national importance which make a significant contribution to the current and future quality of life in the Borough.”
During our Historical walk around Stockport city centre we got to view some of the remaining listed buildings in the area and learnt about important structures such as Stockport Castle and lost tales about the Mersey. The experience was helpful in many ways; it allowed us to visualise the surroundings areas these buildings stood in, a greater feel of Stockport’s Heritage and first hand information from a knowledgeable guide.
Many of the ‘Locally Listed’ buildings in Stockport remain a fantastic source of local historical, architectural and special character interest, such as Stockport’s Central Library and Stockport Market.


'Stockport Market Place' Acrylic and Biro on Corregated Cardboard.
 Stockport Market is a iconic building visually and symbolically and although I wanted to represent that with bold colours and perspective I didn't want the repetitive panes to be overly geometric and precise. Personally I really enjoyed creating this piece, I felt more comfortable working with the pattern and repetition of the building not to mention the media. The previous piece was unusual for my working style and although the outcome was interesting I was completely out of my comfort zone working with collage. However, with both pieces I did test myself much more when it came to digitally editing them.


Stockport Canal: Marple Bridge

For the third image I was given a brief to create an image in the style of the Stockport Market painting based around refrence of Stockport Canal. I've always been interested in Canals and Canal Boats (I learnt how to drive and moor a Barge at a fairly young age) so thought this would be ideal. At first I struggled to find a decent quantity of reference for the canal in the heart of Stockport other than traditional photographs based around the viaduct, so I decided to search a little bit further afield in Compstall. Still within the metropolitan borough of Stockport, Compstall is home to Marple Bridge, a very idyllic little town hosting a particularly picturesque section of Stockport Canal.

'Marple Bridge Canal' Acrylic and Watercolour and Biro on Corregated Card.
As of now, all images have been submitted, accepted and potentially used early 2014 in an Age UK launch hosting all imagery in relation to Historical Buildings, Wartime and Sense of Place. I am proud to represent such a beneficial company and hope to volunteer my skills for their use in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment