I like wolves (especially the two-headed kind), i like William Morris, i like screen-printing...so why not combine them all and make a new breed of wolfpaper?! That's exactly what I'm in the process of doing. It took me a week to perfect my wolfy character, 6 hours to draw up the singular background pattern and repeated second layer onto tracing paper with my new opaque pens, and a frustrating 2 days to screenprint the whole thing onto a roll of wallpaper.
I'm very happy with the overall look of the initial test prints although the screens are pretty much the same size as me and the squeegee, as long as my forearm, which makes the actual process more difficult than I'd anticipated. I think the colours could do with adjusting, or a third colour adding to act as a bridge between the black and red as they're both strong, dominant colours. If I have time before the deadline I might try my hand at Flock and Foil to see whether that would enhance my wallpaper as an alternative to a totally new third layer.
For now I need to concentrate on the execution of my screen-print, loss of concentration or accidentally eliminating the registration marks usually means that the secong and third re-print on the roll don't match up or end up smudged whilst trying to re-align the screen. I'm sure that practice and a little more care will help to rectify this issue, it'd be a shame to have one weak section on the wallpaper length.
Below are a few images taken from the studio showing the mixing preparation of colours, drying rack for the screens (and an indication of how huge they are for such a small person!) and the begins of print.
The following image is used just as a reference of what can go wrong. The first print (far right section) is as close to perfect as possible, whereas the second print (3rd section, far left) wasn't properly aligned and ended up being smudged and patchy.


No comments:
Post a Comment