Tuesday, 2 October 2012

Cleanse The Palette

When I start to feel like i'm getting trapped within a project I like to look through all my old research files and compilations for extra inspiration, failing that I've found re-visiting my 6 year old self helps enormously. By this I mean by looking at all the things that caught my creative side as a child. Maurice Sendak and Andre Amstutz were two of my absolute favourites but recently i've been enthralled with the artwork of the 1961 Walt Disney animation, 101 Dalmatians.


The two images above are two scenes from the film and much apart from the beautifully intricate and style of the drawings, the atmosphere captured is unmatched in any other Disney film, in my opinion of course. Walt Peregoy is best known as the colour stylist for this film and the slightly earlier, Sleeping Beauty. I think the colour palette used throughout to emphasis the weather, throughout 101 Dalmatians manages to clear my mind and open my mind to the use of subtle contrast and the importance of background'

No comments:

Post a Comment