![]() |
| Taken from robotmafia.com |
Now although Chris may not be a potential client, I trust that he knows Illustration inside out and surrounds himself with more creative people on a daily basis than you could shake a stick at. I've had a hard time trying to contact agents of agents of illustrators and even worse experiences being told I have no direction by self-inflated baffoons who feel they've made it if they've got a couple of ten pound notes to rub together. However, it's no secret that Stockport fledglings tend to have a quality that sets them apart, kindness. Taking time out of a busy schedule to do something for nothing and the courage to be honest without breaking someones heart is rare in such a competitive industry. I'm sure I've been looking in all the wrong places elsewhere, but Manchester, Leeds and York exude such a beautiful attitude via their young creatives that I didn't really need to.
Anyway, getting back to the subject. I emailed Madden in the hopes I would catch him when he would have the time to talk to little ol' me, I wasn't dissapointed. In response to all the material I sent him I received a wonderful response again reinforcing successfully balancing my black and white drawings alongside colour, maintaining loose drawings in contrast to detailed images and using the simple, clean layout of my website/portfolio to harness the style of the drawings.
I asked him specifically about branding as it's one element I've always been unsure about. Mentioning the banner on my website in particular Madden suggested that I used the icon of the bat to tie my work together instead of one small logo i.e using the bat on the banner, on products, at the forefront of my portfolio etc. Considering this I would probably use the colour version of my banner illustration as it highlights the merging of watercolour and fineline drawing, my preferred media. At the same time, I would have to be cautious not to exhaust imagery, try and keep my portfolio and website varied so that clients have fresh illustration to look at across the board and I'm not constantly repeating myself. Another reason why I connect my Tumblr account to my website, Tumblr is an easier way to update regularly without the pressure of all the pieces being finalised. The connection between viewer and artist becomes more personal as they can see you process, read as much or as little about you and intertwine your personality with you work.
As a final thought; "Overall,
you are on the right track and are doing more things right than you are
giving yourself credit for! If you need anything else over the next few
weeks (or ever really) i’m more than happy to give advice/critique etc.
just give me a bell - Looking forward to seeing your work at the degree show!" (Madden, conversation via email)
Eternal thanks to Chris Madden for being an excellent role model and all round nice guy!

No comments:
Post a Comment