Thursday, 15 November 2012

The Two Headed Hound of Hell is Howling.

So I marked the end of another project with my usual last minute panic. Everything that could go wrong did go wrong and I realised (a little too late unfortunately) that I hadn't explained links between preliminary research and resulting product to the full extent that I should. I started second year intending to spend more time on practice, peicing together quantities of work and experimenting more when editing artwork instead of doing my usual trick of spening fifty percent of the time researching, reading and discovering new artists for future reference.

The hypothesis determined in relation to this meant that (in theory) I should have built a larger, more varied and finalised quantity of work without the reams of paperwork alongside. I find it very easy to get lost in the narrative of a project and immerse myself in books, articles, even artists related to the topic. So by focusing on the work at hand and not spend the majority of the time 'over-researching' should have allowed me to relate my own style of working to the project with an appropriate amount of material at a controlled pace.

Success? 
I did find that all the processes used in this project flowed with ease, I connected style and background references to each section of work and worked much more comfortably when it came to screen-printing, even on a much larger sale.


Trial and Error.
Towards the end of the project it dawned on me that without me usual excessive research I was beginning to struggle with self evaluation because the designers i'd taken as inspiration when creating my wallpaper were seemingly unrelated to the rest of the project. I didn't have enough information to link together the foundations of William Morris, Japanes Book Binding, Greek Mythology and Bukowski. So, if nothing else i've learnt that being over-ambitious is useless without the amunition.
I need to find a happy medium in future.


When creating my character, the two headed hound of hell Cerberus, I originally drew him with three heads as he is most commonly pictured (see the variations in my photographs above, depicted in gold pain, grey crayon and black fineliner). However, when it came to transforming a 2D image into a 3D model, all hell broke loose...ironically. I wanted to make several, modest sized fimo models but balancing 3 heads on an already top heavy body isn't easy not to mention the fimo ceasing to co-operate due to being stored in the almost arctic temperature of my house.

In the head, me and Cerby struck a compromise with 2 heads, fake nails and a brown paper bag as bargaining tools. I have to admit that the final model wasn't as terrifying or immaculately made as i'd hoped for, i didn't utilise my time properly and the obstacles only hindered me further. I was on the right tracks with using the fake nails for claws and sharpening them up for teeth, and i'd like to think my handy work when it comes to manipulating large paper bags into looking like two headed dogs is pretty impressive.


All in all, I'd say that the book i created and bound 'Love Is A Two Headed Dog From Hell', based on Bukowski, Henry Rollins and wolves in general, was one of the most successful pieces of Applied Design 2. My finished wallpaper was my absolute favourite though, I'm happy with every aspect of it from the colour combinations, background repeat and detail in the characters not to mention how much i've progressed when it comes to pulling screens.


Apologies for the poor quality of some photographs.

No comments:

Post a Comment